Friday, May 4, 2007

Muslim musings

Lately I've immersed myself in a great deal of Muslim-related reading and viewing. I've read "Because They Hate" by Brigitte Gabriel, and have just finished "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. (I was reading "The Handmaid's Tale" at the same time and the similarities gave me chills.) Very different reads even though both are autobiographical accounts of Muslim women. If you only have time for one, I'd recommend Ali's book. You may have heard of her. Remember the Dutch filmmaker, Theo van Gogh, who was murdered on his way to work a few years ago? He and Ali had produced a movie together, "Submission-Part 1", portraying the abuse of Muslim women. When van Gogh was stabbed to death, the killer left a note on his chest (stabbed through with the murder weapon) that Ali was next. She has lived under constant armed guard ever since. Dramatic as her life has been, it's the message that comes through that I think the Westernized world needs to hear.

Both Ali and Gabriel, as well as some great PBS shows that I've watched on the same subject, all have given the same message. We do not understand, nor do we believe, the threat we are up against. Our culture, America in particular, has a "live and let live" attitude. I might not agree with you, but we can agree to disagree. Not so in the traditional, clan-based Muslim world, with it's "live and believe as I do, or die" mentality. I don't want to preach too much nor influence you with my ideas (good American that I am), but please think about this. Educate yourselves, do some reading, and have some serious dialogue. For a sobering look at what is aired and preached on Middle Eastern television (and remember, most of it is state run television) check out: www.memritv.org. (Sorry, my Mac doesn't seem to let me make links, italics, etc.!)

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Wow Tamara. I too have read a couple of books in this area. My inspiration for the book club came from a talk I saw by Azar Nafisi who wrote about her life in Iran in Reading Lolita in Tehran. She and her students met and talked about books secretly to try and bring some normalcy into their oppressed lives.

More recently I read Persepolis and Persepolis II by Marjane Satrapi. Her books are graphic biographies and definitely worth a look. She covers some of the same time period in Iran.

Thanks for the website link--I'll definitely check it out!