Sunday, May 27, 2007

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman







I've been meaning to write a little post about this fantastic series. His Dark Materials is the name of the series which in order is The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. I'm sure reading all three of these books is great but might I suggest taking the audiobook route. A full cast brings this story alive as well as the author as narrator. You don't have to remember who is speaking because each of the main characters are voiced by different actors.

So what's it about?

Well I don't want to give too much away. And you can always look it up online to read reviews. What I will say:
Part fantasy/part reality.
Animals throughout.
Rich symbology that works on many levels.

I felt a bit sad letting the characters go. Listening on my way to and from work I traveled with them for some weeks.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

These sound like great fun, Matthew! Thanks for the suggestions - I'll add them to my "Books to Read" list, which I fear is much too lengthy!!!