Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac


Some time back I read On the Road and remember enjoying it although its not like your typical novel. There is no clear cut story-line just episodes that more or less follow a linear pattern. The consistency is that the narrator is the same throughout. And this is the case for The Dharma Bums which gets more into the world of Buddhism. If you want to enter the world of the Beats than this is a fun read.

Bonus quote:

"I felt great compassion for the trees because we were the same thing; I petted the dogs who didn't argue with me ever. All dogs love God. They're wiser than their masters. I told that to the dogs, too, they listened to me perking up their ears and licking my face. They didn't care one way or the other as long as I was there. St. Raymond of the Dogs is who I was that year, if no one or nothing else."

No comments: